Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15th 2011

I have awaited this day for months. The one day out of the year that is dedicated to my tiny man who didn't get to stay. I didn't really know how I would react. Would I cry uncontrollably all day? Would I be able to rejoice in his short life? Would I find something special to do for him?

Well, the day is here.

I chose to do a balloon release. It turned out beautiful. I was all alone and I played "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry. I watched them float softly by the hand of the wind until they were gone from sight. It was only until I could no longer see them glimmer in the sunlight that I broke down and cried. I bawled my eyes out and didn't care who saw me.

After I was finished with my cry, I decided to take a walk. Perhaps Leo would send me a special gift today. I could not have imagined the magic he sent today.

As I walked I realized that dragonflies surrounded me on all sides. There were more dragonflies than I have seen in weeks! In fact I don't recall seeing one for quite awhile. That was just the beginning.

Now let me start by saying that I have been quite enamored with the Monarch Butterfly since I was a child. I have never in my 29 years seen one in person.

Today I saw 9.

The first one I thought, "It can't be a monarch!" "It has to be some other sort of butterfly!" But then I saw another closer and sure enough it was an elegant monarch!

I wanted to snap a photo of one of them but they were so fast as they floated on the wind that I couldn't seem to get it right. The 4th one was sent for me to photograph. It floated right in front of me and landed on a dandelion. It flew around my head twice before lifting off beyond my sight. I felt my emotions welling up.

I stood in the middle of the street with my camera in hand and cried for joy. Joy that my little man sent me such a glorious gift. Joy that I got to experience his precious life, although too short.

I love you son. I will never forget the day you brought the monarchs to your mommy. Kisses up to heaven. <3



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post! I'm so glad that your little one sent your favorite butterfly down to you. He is trying to make you smile, if only for small periods of time!

    ReplyDelete