Saturday, June 11, 2011

When did it switch

I know I was just here, but in the hour since I last posted I have done nothing but look at pictures of other people's dead babies. I have read their stories and cried for their losses. I have marveled over how beautiful the dead babies were. I have joined this alternate universe of dead baby land. Where you can look through all the defects and bruising and sometimes blood to see a beautiful shell of a being. Something that someone loved very much and lost. A turning point in a life. A connection to a stranger that you wish you could sever but can't. I forget that less than two months ago I was looking at pictures of living babies and forming fetuses and imagining all the possibilities that lie before me. Now all those things seem so far away. Like it was a lifetime ago that my time was spent thinking about life instead of death. I wish I didn't have to be in this awful club, but I'm glad that I have opened my eyes to a strange beauty I never would have recognized in the past.

My friends always said I was morbid. I collect bones and skulls and taxidermy and gargoyles and poisonous tarantulas and other dark things of that nature. Now I have the ashes of my dead son as well. Not how I imagined my future.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mama. I found your blog through still life 365. I have a 2 year old and we lost our second son in January. Today I went for my last blood test for factor V. Your posts totally resound with me. I'm fixated by dead baby photos too. hoping for some peace for you, Abi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the circumstances with which we have come be here but glad that my experiences resounded with you. I hope you find the answers you are looking for when you get your tests done. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

    ReplyDelete